Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Planting Time

This week I've been starting some seeds in my basement under lights...it brings out the maternal instinct in me, nurturing those little suckers. Yesterday it was both heirloom tomatoes (brandywine) and hybrid tomatoes (beefsteak).
I've also started some easy perennials, Shasta daisies, small Sunflowers and Rudbeckia, to inexpensively fill in some empty places in my back yard. I put in some Basil to go along with a few other herbs I already have. I think I'll make little herb gardens in pretty pots for both of my daughters.
In the next day or so I should be receiving my order from the seed company. I've picked out some specific flower seeds for a cutting garden suggested in a book I've been reading a book called "The Flower Farmer". The author is quite a successful flower farmer, selling at farmers markets and florists, and luckily she is very free with advice. I think I'd like to start small, just enough flowers for myself and friends...
Anyway...that's what's been happening around here...just waiting for sunshine and warmer weather!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb,
    I just came in from the yard myself. It is raining now and time to clean up and start dinner. First things first-a glass of a WA. Reisling to bring on the weekend. Have you ever grown asparagus? That is my new adventure this spring. Guess I can not move as that will take a few years to enjoy the benefits of growing and reaping. Keep up the blogs. I am enjoying your writing style and ventures in the yard.
    Terry

    ReplyDelete