Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Sweet, Sweet Smell



Last night I had the hardest time getting to sleep. I had spent the evening reading about beekeeping and rabbit keeping and knitting and such and my mind was just racing. It was raining outside, my window was wide open, and I actually didn't want to go to sleep. I was having fun. It just smelt so good in our bedroom...like, oh, wet dirt.
Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I would really like to be a flower farmer. I'm not sure I would actually want to sell my flowers, maybe I could just give them away until I have gained confidence in my abilities, but at any rate, today I started getting my flower beds ready. That meant double digging and lots of sweat. My plan is to have four 4' x 15' raised beds.
I added the bit of compost I could find, and turned under the leaves I had piled on the garden last fall when... oh, sweet surprise, neighborly neighbor Glenn from next door came over with his tractor and bucket to turn the massive pile of yard waste I had been collecting for 25 years! I knew there was a gold mine in there, but the prospects of digging it out had seemed daunting. In a matter of minutes I was a wealthy woman. Compost as high as a barn!
I finished one bed today, and I was quite tickled with it! Three more to go. Thanks Glenn!

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh, I'd love to know what that compost looked like -- just yard waste went into it?
    We've been piling up clippings, pulled weeds, etc., into large piles in a wooded part of our yard where it doesn't get the sun a compost likes but is nonetheless decomposing slowly. A big problem is that it will be huge and unwieldy to turn so your neighbour's solution would be perfect. You must have been thrilled!

    ReplyDelete