Wednesday, May 20, 2009

R.I.P.


Last Wednesday was processing day for our chickens. This was such a learning experience for me, and although it was hard, I'm going to start over and do it again. The chickens had a good life, were well cared for and happy, and I think that's Gods intentions for them!
First, I loaded them into Mikes pickup...easier than I thought, they were willing to be caught? Dumb Chickens.
I drove them over to Carla's house, as she had 25 chickens to be processed as well. Brian, a 35 year old from Ada (and quite a character) was there with his portable processor. This included cones, a stainless steel table, a feather-getter-offer and a propane fueled barrel of hot water. Carla was well into getting her chickens killed and cleaned.
I did shed a tear when it was my turn, and I felt faint all day, but I am committed to this...I'd much rather eat my happy chickens than those raised in a small cage. I helped as best I could, but I'm sure next time around will be easier? Maybe? Home I went with 22 cleaned and fat chickens and I was quite tickled.
Mike was excited and had Sarah run and get a rotisserie attachment for the grill...it was delicious and tonight we are having soup! I'll do it again.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like quite an adventure Deb. Did you actually gut and feather them yourself?
    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian is a friend of ours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow bbmarie! We just thought he was great!

    ReplyDelete