Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Oh Henny!

I'm quite new to the hen business so every new thing is a new experience for me.
I started this spring with six hens of four different breeds of chickens and I must say, my two buff orpingtons are the sweetest of the bunch. They both love to be held, coo sweetly, and are beautiful as well.
Since it does not really matter to me how many eggs I collect every day I pay no attention to who lays what..but I did begin to wonder where, oh where "Henny" my light colored Orpinton was laying her eggs. One morning this past week, while playing in the yardI came across this little stash in my ornamental grass...there they are! They next morning I watched as Henny went to add to the bunch..but, apparently a racoon family found the eggs first and made themselves quite at home. They neatly had cracked the eggs and licked them clean. I certainly would have loved to watch that!

3 comments:

  1. There is nothing like a fresh egg - I'm sure the raccoons will attest to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, It is fun to see the progress of the blog,hens, flowers, and family. You have given me the inspiration to take photos of our yard next spring through summer.....Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww... what a sweetie!! I can't wait for my girls to get big enough to lay. I'm pondering how to aquire my third hen at the moment... lol I wish I could just BUY a nice tame one outright... lol I just got my pullets today! Thanks for your comment on my blog about them! I'll be subscribing to your blog, and keeping up now!! I'm interested in fellow chickeners... (if that's a word) lol

    ReplyDelete