Saturday, June 14, 2014

Rescue Dogs

   Since my two girls have married and moved away  I have become quite involved in the local animal rescue. I've always wanted to give back in some way and animals have always been a passion for me. I now foster dogs as well as groom those who need it. This is my latest, a small 6 lb poodle named Penny Sue.


   Penny Sue came to the rescue when her living conditions were reported to the authorities. The owners wanted her back and threatened to sue the shelter. Quite an ethical dilemma. Who gets to makes these decisions? The shelter charges a hefty fee to reclaim a pet, and they added on vet bills and grooming bills so the owners could not afford to get her back. I guess that is one way!


   I have had Penny Sue over a month now, fostering her until she can find a permanent loving home. The problem is she is totally blind. I'm not sure if the rescue can even find a home for her so I'm settling in for the long run. She gets along fine with my three dogs, and she has bumped around our house long enough to find her way around.
  The best part about fostering this type of neglected pet is watched them blossom under good conditions. Penny Sue obviously had no idea how to be loved. I taught her how to trust being picked up. How to enjoy sitting on my lap and how to snuggle in bed. I smiled the first time I came home to find her at the door with my other dogs wagging her tail. Such progress! She barks with the other dogs, can find her food and water and makes snuggle noises. Oh if her old owners could see her now.
   The thing is. I don't know who benefits the most. Me or her!

 

3 comments:

  1. Penny Sue is adorable - how lucky she is to have found such a kind lady to look after her. Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, you are a true angel and Penny Sue is so lucky to be with you and your other three dogs. Your description of her settling in is beautiful, I especially love 'snuggle noises'! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kindness. And I know just what you mean about who benefits most. My rescue pets have given me so much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Description: Raging Thunder has many features like games,
    mobile software, Mobile Games. Bobby Carrot started in 2004
    on mobile game development company and can help you out
    next time! Strategy games Board games War games Multi/single playerThere are some advantages you will need a platform adventure in Kalikuf!


    Have a look at my web site: Plants vs. zombies 2 cheats ipad

    ReplyDelete